Main Areas of Activity
- Treatment of abdominal wall diseases
- Minimally invasive surgery for hernias, gallbladder, and liver
- Hernia surgery
- Abdominal surgery
- Surgical oncology
- Inguinal hernias
- Postoperative scars
- Diaphragmatic hernias
During his work in Baden-Baden, Dieter Berger established a large and widely recognized Center for the treatment of colon cancer, which attracted patients not only from the immediate service area but from all regions of the country.
At international congresses, the professor presented unique ways to use laparoscopic techniques in surgeries. As a scientist and surgical oncologist, Dieter Berger has always been interested in the possibility of combining chemotherapy and surgical treatment methods, facilitating dialogue between oncologists and surgeons.
Professor Berger also places special emphasis on hernia surgery. He has made a significant contribution to popularizing the use of laparoscopic methods in hernia surgery throughout Europe, and he has developed some of these techniques himself.
His international reputation has been established through his methods for treating postoperative hernias, parastomal hernias, and large abdominal wall defects using various techniques, including botulinum toxin pretreatment and intraoperative stretching of the abdominal wall, as well as addressing chronic pain syndromes following previous surgeries.
Dieter Berger is not only actively involved in delivering lectures at international congresses but also organizes webinars to enhance the qualifications of fellow surgeons. He regularly performs surgeries both domestically and abroad.
Date of Birth: November 28, 1956
- Since June 2017 - attending physician at Betanien Clinic in Zurich and the private clinic Lindberg
- From April 1999 to March 2017: Chief Physician at the Clinic of Visceral, Thoracic, and Pediatric Surgery at the City Hospital in Baden-Baden
- Since October 1997: Internship at the Clinic for General, Visceral, and Transplant Surgery of the Free University of Berlin (Professor, Doctor of Medical Sciences P. Noichauz)
- From April 1997 to March 1999: Senior Consultant at the Clinic for General Surgery and C3 Professor of Pediatric Surgery at Ulm University
- From October 1994 to March 1997: Senior Consultant at the Clinic of Pediatric Surgery at Tübingen University (Professor, Doctor P. Schweitzer)
- May 1993: Internship at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, USA (Colorectal Surgery Department)
- From October 1990 to September 1994: Head of the Department at the Clinic for General Surgery at Ulm University (Professor, Doctor H.G. Berger)
- April 1989: Specialist certification in surgery
- After the state examination in November 1982, further training in surgery at the surgical university clinic in Ulm
- 2012-2016: Chairman of the Surgical Working Group "Hernia" of the German Society for General and Visceral Surgery
- 2011-2014: Chairman of the German Hernia Society
- 2008: President of the German Hernia Society and organizer of the annual conference
- 1999: Appointment as an extraordinary professor at Ulm University
- 1997: C3 Professor of the Department of Pediatric Surgery at Ulm University
- 1991: Habilitation in Surgery at Ulm University
- 1987: Successful defense of a doctoral dissertation with distinction at the Free University of Berlin